So congratulations, you have got your first Airstream in New Zealand! Now you need to be able to tow it home safely. There are quite a lot you need to prepare and watch out for before you hitch her up.
Quick check list
- Size of tow ball needs to be 2 5/16″ – 2 commom ones in NZ are 1 7/8″ & 50mm, and not the big brother 2 5/16″, so make sure you got the right ball, or you will be seeing your Airstream passing you by down the hill!
- A suitable trailer plug converter – that will run your Airstream rear lights!
- Electric brake controller – Powered by 12v, this is essential if you need to tow your Airstream safely!
- Vehicle tow rating – Airstreams are nose heavy, so make sure your tow truck is fit for this task!
It is pretty straight forward getting a new plate for your Airstream. Simpy fill out a MR2B form and pay the fee, and way you go.
- Vehicle width – if your Airstream is wider than 2.5m, you are out of luck if you need to tow her out often.
- Vehicle weight – if it is over 2.5 tons, you must have working brakes installed.
I would like to thank Steve & Jill Norman from airstreamnz.co.nz for all their support, I couldn’t have done it without them!!